Sunday, March 18, 2012

Blog 3: Revised Diagnostic


Hype
The passage, “Hype,” is about how commercial pollution, ads for example, shown everywhere and everyday slowly corrupting our brains. Everywhere you turn there is an ad being shown or a commercial being heard, sometimes giving off both false and truth advertisements. There are interactive screens on supermarket carts, installed by a company called VideoCarte, so that you can see ads while you shop. There are even ads on the nozzle that you use to pump gas into your car.
As stated in the passage, “Advertisements are the most prevalent and toxic of the mental pollutants.” Kids who choose to sing silly jingles for a TV commercial instead of learning or being able to sing all 26 letters in the Alphabets. For an example, my 6 year old nephew knows all of the words to the Reeses Puff commercial jingle better than he knows his math. Myself as well, I can mesmerize the jingle to the Free Credit Report.com commercial better than I can mesmerize information for a test. Not all ads and commercials are bad by the way. In fact, most of them are actually inspiring, motivating, educational, and many can relate to them. Like when I see an ad in the train station about dance classes or shows, I instantly try to make it my duty to either attend a class, a show, or even start back teaching a class.
Also, when I receive email ads about poetry writing contests, it motivates me to write more. For the next 3 days the ads that I see and that interest me is what stays on my mind. Whether they’re good or bad, commercial pollution sticks in our brains more and better than most information.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment